The world’s leading addiction research journal, simply titled Addiction, has been published continuously since 1884. It is the oldest addiction specialty journal in print, and is published each month in paper and online. This week, it launches a completely revamped website (www.addictionjournal.org) that makes the journal useful to a much wider readership than the cadre of academics and clinicians who are its regular subscribers. The website offers features designed to help close the gap between pure research and its practical application.
Of greatest interest to new and established readers is the Key Findings service, which encapsulates the most significant scientific discoveries published in each issue of Addiction. Every time a new issue is published, this service provides a one or two sentence summary of each paper, written in everyday language, explaining what is new and important about the research. Readers can sort key findings by month or search them by topic. Full abstracts are accessible in one click, and regular subscribers can download complete papers. We encourage journalists and policy makers to subscribe to our key findings RSS feed to ensure that they are kept up-to-date each month.
Other new features of the website:
- News and Meetings: A blog-style feature that summarises the latest international news in addiction, updated monthly, coupled with a continuously updated list of addiction-related academic meetings and conferences.
- New Books: A comprehensive list of new publications in addiction science, compiled by the Executive Director of SALIS (Substance Abuse Librarians & Information Specialists) and updated five times per year.
- Links to other sources of addiction information: Three new categories on our homepage direct readers to ‘Addiction Blogs’ written by researchers, journalists, students, and recovering addicts; ‘Addiction Links’ to addiction-related publications, societies, services, and reliable sources of information; and ‘Help with Addiction Problems’.
- Social Networking: Links to our Twitter and Facebook accounts.
And we’ve continued these popular services:
- Press Releases: The full story on the most noteworthy papers published in Addiction.
- How to contribute: Find out how to submit your research to the journal.
- Browse the journal: Click through to our publisher’s website to browse newly-accepted papers, fully proofed papers, full issues, and themed ‘virtual issues’. Some content is available to all readers, and some only to subscribers (though non-subscribers can buy individual papers, issues, and even full volumes of the journal).
-- Ends --
For more information, please contact Jean O’Reilly, Editorial Manager, Addiction, by email (email@example.com) or telephone (+44 (0)20 7848 0853).
Addiction (www.addictionjournal.org) is a monthly international scientific journal publishing peer-reviewed research reports on alcohol, illicit drugs, tobacco, and gambling as well as editorials and other debate pieces. Owned by the Society for the Study of Addiction, it has been in continuous publication since 1884. Addiction is the number one journal in the 2011 ISI Journal Citation Reports Ranking in the Substance Abuse Category (Social Science Edition). Membership to the Society for the Study of Addiction (http://www.addiction-ssa.org/) is £85 and includes an annual subscription to Addiction.